Tender for Sandwich Bar, The Millfields, Plymouth
Information for interested parties
The Millfields Trust is a Community Interest Company working to improve the Stonehouse neighbourhood. It is a “not for profit” company and is a partnership between the community, local business and Plymouth City Council.
The Millfields Trust manages office and light industrial accommodation at The Millfields (site of the former Royal Naval Hospital), and HQ and Genesis on Union Street. The Millfields site comprises of approximately 20,000 sq. ft of light industrial/office space in two new buildings, and 7500 sq. ft of office space in the refurbished Creykes Court. In HQ and Genesis, the Trust is responsible for an additional 70 offices. Income from the letting of the offices enables the Trust to be financially self-sustaining with some of the surplus re-invested into the local community of Stonehouse.
The Millfields Site
The Millfields is a mixed-use site of residential properties, Plymouth College Prep School and business premises. The latter consists of freehold and leasehold property mostly concentrated around the central square. In addition, on most working days there are many visitors to the site.
The little hut now available for rent as a sandwich shop is an example of the type of building often found in former colonial countries but remain a rarity in this Country. It has been converted and run as a successful Sandwich Bar since 2005. The premises are approximately 190 square feet/17.65 square meters.
A restrictive covenant on the premises prevents its use for anything other than a sandwich bar.
The tenancy terms offered are a Tenancy at will, we would draw your attention to the following.
- Six months’ notice is required.
- Planning restrictions. Opening times are restricted to 8.00 am – 6.00 pm Monday to Saturday and does not include bank holidays.
- Due to a restrictive covenant the premises cannot be used for any other purpose other than the sale of sandwiches, non-alcoholic drinks and other fresh or pre-prepared chilled food items for consumption off the premises, providing that consumption of such items is restricted to a food bar only and the premises shall not be used as a café.
- Tenants are responsible for ensuring all Food Hygiene Standards are adhered to, including regular inspections.
- Millfields Trust reserves the right to view the premises at any time to ensure that health and safety requirements are being met.
- The Trust reserves the right to display materials promoting the Trust or the site within the hut.
- Tenants are responsible for notifying Plymouth City Council Environmental Health Dept of the commencement of trading.
- Tenants are responsible for making their own arrangements in respect of waste disposal. A waste disposal facility is not provided.
- Millfields Trust is responsible for the building insurance; tenants are responsible for contents and indemnity insurance.
- The Tenant is responsible for the maintenance of the exterior of the building, including the internal decoration and fixtures.
- The tenant is required to pay a deposit, equivalent to two months’ rent.
The hut will be let as seen, any alterations, additional fixtures and fittings will be at the tenants’ expense.
The hut has been granted Class A3 planning permission. This is confined to the hut itself and would not allow for the premises or the surroundings to be used as a café.
The hut has electricity and water, with meters for both in the building. The tenant is responsible for the direct payment of these services and for arranging the installation of other services that are required e.g. telephone/internet.
The tenant will have access to the toilets in Creykes Court, which contains male/ female and disabled toilets. An access fob will be provided.
One car parking space is allocated.
These are the responsibility of the tenant, you maybe eligible for small business rate relief.
Tenants will be required to conform to the guidelines laid down by the Millfields Trust and Plymouth City Council Planning Department.
This will be the responsibility of the tenant.
Tenants are responsible for ensuring that they meet Health and Safety regulations for the correct, legal disposal of all food waste.
How to proceed
Anyone interested in applying is requested to follow the tendering process. Applicants should submit a business plan in the format outlined below. Please ensure that you include the criteria outlined below, as this along with the price will be the method of determining those to be shortlisted. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend an interview with members of the Trust staff. This panel will make the decision as to the successful applicant.
Details of the Business
Name and address of the applicant
Management structure i.e. Sole trader, co-operative, limited company etc.
Existing or start up business. If existing details of current business.
Skills and experience of the applicant
Details of product
Describe what you are going to produce and what service is being provided. How does it compare with competitive products/suppliers?
Who are your customers? What research have you undertaken? Who are your competitors? How will you differ?
(a) Financial forecasts including cashflow and profit and loss projections.
(b) Details of start up costs
(c) Include historical statements if already trading.
(d) Please explain all your assumptions.
Please give the names of two referees. One who knows you in a personal capacity and one in a professional capacity.
The tender price needs to be the price for the rental of the building for one calendar year (i.e. 12 months) plus VAT. The successful applicant will be expected to pay rental plus VAT by direct debit to the Millfields Trust on a monthly basis.We would expect the successful candidate to commence the tenancy as soon as possible.For further details or to arrange a time to view the premises please contact:Mandy Toze or Sadie Chambers, Business Development Managers. Email:
Tel: 01752 660837
Tenders to be submitted no later than 26th June 2019, interviews will take place on 3rd July 2019
Comments are closed.